CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Message from my Sponsor

I can count on a few things in my little world.
  1. Aaron can always make me laugh.
  2. I will never know what it is like to sleep through the night.
  3. Pride and Prejudice just keeps getting better (and don't get me started on Colin Firth!).
  4. When I get out my sewing machine, Laurel will ask:
"When will you teach me how to sew?"

I've put it off for long enough. First, she had to be able to count and do some basic math. Then, she had to be tall enough to reach the pedal. Well, she's ready. And she wanted to start with clothes for her new chipmunk, Rainbow. Um, no. But she did agree to a pillowcase, tutorial found here.
I bought the Tweety Bird fabric a while back, knowing she was going to want it. Sure enough, it's what she went for first. Thank heaven I bought a yard!

So here's how it went down. We measured. I cut. We measured again. I cut again. Laurel talked to me about everything. Laurel picked out her ric rac color (yellow to match Tweety). I ironed. I pinned. She sewed, VERY slowly. Painfully slowly, but she wanted to be careful and I was patient.

Oh, while I pinned she organized my pin cushion by color. Because it needed to be done.
She learned that there are a lot of steps to sewing. Stopping, pressing, pinning again, trimming corners, then sewing some more. She had fun and kept saying "I'm good at this!"
The finished pillowcase!
Honestly, I did most of the work, and that's okay with me. I wanted her to get bit by the sewing bug and see how fun it is. She'll be starting a little patchwork project with some 2.5" squares I have in my stash. One of her animals, I believe Brownie Bear, has a birthday coming up.

Now, back to my HSTs!
Yes, I share a table with a big ol' box o' crayons. The life of a homeschooler. But aren't they pretty? I ironed them last night and now I'm getting started on putting them together. These are so much fun to play with!

And I'm baking off the best chocolate chip cookies. EVER. Trust me. Try them. You won't be sorry, except that you have to let the dough hang out in the fridge for a day. Resist the urge to eat the dough.

1 comments:

Amberly said...

I love that she wants to sew! I am very impressed with your patience, I don't think I could handle it. :)

Post a Comment

Really, don't we all love a little validation?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...